Overview of the modifications done to rolling stock

(gauge one, scale 1:32)

Rolling stock already modified  : 

SBB Krokodil - SBB Em - DB Glaskasten

Rolling stock still to be improved  : 

FS ALe 840-883 Le 640  FS E400  SBB Be 4/6 (Motorcar)

SBB Krokodil , scale 1:32,  

Small modifications to the Märklin Krokodil will be explained here.

We changed the decoder to ESU 4.0XL or 5.0XL

We also changed the lights and some other small details. 

First the shunting Krokodil : 

The lampholders are changed by new ones from Spur-1-Werkstatt. In the first 3, we glued a SMD led with black shriking tube into the lamp holder. Then we glued the lamp holders onto the upright plate. I think its better to glue the lampholder first and then glue the smd in it. I had to repare a broken lamp holder , and there I first glued the lamp holder. Also for the second 3 lamps, we put a drop of Micro Crystal Clear solution on the smd led to imitate the bulb of the lamp. Then again a small piece of shrinking tube or other black tube is used to imitate the fitting of the lamp.

There was a period where the Krokodils had a blue light. But we needed to have both, white and blue light. Since there is no dual led blue/white, we put the blue light on the back of the white. So it is invisible when not illuminated.

We flattened the upright plate by scraping off all unnecessary parts and imitated the electrical tubing . We still need to scrape off the electrical connetions on the front side of the upright plate (Grey zone).

Also the shunting bars are modified by bending small brass tubes.

We also changed the Märklin decoder by an ESU 5.0XL decoder. All the wiring was replaced by new one. Cabin lights are also installed.

Peter made some accessory parts both for the outside and the inside of the loco.  


We are modifying a Märklin DHG 500 into a Swiss SBB Em, the Em 837 853-1

First of all, the chassis needs to be modified. The third axle has to be moved to the back.

Then we will add all necessary details to make the resemblance with the original loco as good as possible.

We used the blue version of the Märklin locomotive because of the better propulsion.

All of the decorative stripes on the side of the engine compartments were removed. The imitated handrails were also removed.

The handrails on the engine compartments have a diameter of 1mm, and the handrails on the side of the locomotive are 1.6mm in diameter.

At Krüger Modellbau we ordered other parts : radiator grill, stairs to the engine house and to the buffer beams, wipers, factory plate, ...

As already mentioned, we use a blue Märklin DHG as a base. The engine is swapped for a Bühler engine. For this we had to drill 2 new holes to attach the engine.

The base plate itself also had to be changed :  the side pieces of the chassis (we use those of the red versions) are otherwise too high. The bottom plate is cut on a width of 6 cm. This allows the sides to be placed a bit more inwards. This is the case on the red version. On the blue version, one can see that the last axle box is partially milled away and is standing against the stairs. In reality this is of course not the case.

Because the bottom plate has been sawn off, it will be lower against the superstructure. So we have to use spacers to make sure that  the center of the wheel axle  are just at the height of the axle box in the side pieces. We also drilled 2 new holes through all the pieces and then fixed them with 2 bolts. (Crosshead bolts).

One has to make sure that the chassis is correctly aligned with the superstructure.

On the Märklin chassis power was drawn on 2 axles. On the third, middle axle we also placed power points. These are from "Spur 1 Werkstatt" by Rainer Hermann.

The brass strips to hold the brake shoes have undergone accelerated ageing by immersing the strips in a mixture of hydrogen peroxide (30%) and hydrochloric acid. So no painting was required.

Many parts have been changed and/or added to the locomotive.

Buffers are from Oppermann Modellbau
Cooler grill , parts at coupling hook and steps from Krüger Modellbau
Other parts : Air filters, seats, lights, dashboard lights and armatures , cover plates of the engine room, fixing of the shunting brake shoes, railings, lettering , decoder (ESU XL 3.5)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

The Italian brass ALe 840 and 883  motorcars

The  brass  motorcars ALe 840 and ALe 883 in 1/32 : interior, decoder and lighting

Fianally we started to detail the Italian motorcars.

Our brass models are very well detailed on the outside for us. Now we are going to work on the interior. The detailing will never be able to approach the factory models because we do not use D printing or laser cutting. We are using some cast brass parts we have left over from past projects.

The motor bogies have power take-off on all wheels. The front bogie we are equipping with contact removal points on all wheels. We are using parts from the Dingler company.
As a decoder we use an ESU XL 5.0 decoder.

Furthermore, we rely on photos to recreate our interiors. For the ALe840 there is not much available. For the ALe 883 we have interior photos taken by members of the museum (many thanks for this, www.ALe883.it ), where the restored ALe883007 is located.

However, we are not going to be able to recreate everything in detail. So it will be an impression of reality.
This will already require enough work because interior finishing and lighting were not taken into account during construction.
During the next few weeks I will post pictures of the finishing touches.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)


Construction of the FS E400 , scale 1:32

SERSA Am 847

We are modifying a Märklin SERSA Am 847 Gretli II

FS Motorcar ALn 56